Friday, January 21, 2011

P.S. i don't love you. (my opinion piece)

Shakespear wrote it best that people have to love carefully. Foolish lovers die young, according to him and even though that may not be true of today, foolish people still get hurt. To a seventeen, soon to be eighteen year old girl, I've learned that highschool is no place to be tossing around "I love you"'s to your temporary boyfriend the same way you would toss around the words "Hey, what's up?".

I've never thought love was a light matter and I've never thought it could be built with someone in a month, who is as juvenile and stupid as i am in my teenage-ness. I do not claim to know half as much about relationships and love as my parents do and I'm more than willing to wait until I'm sure what I'm feeling about someone else is real. I think teenagers take love and relationships much too seriously in highschool. I see facebook statuses that are jammed with acronyms and emotes to short-form their expansive love for one another. Because writing out "i love you." is much too long and hard.

Love and teenage girl is not a pretty mix. It usually ends in a lot of eyeliner clogged tears and hate-gossip on facebook after they realize Jimmy didn't "love" them as much as their facebook status said they did. Call me cynical but if you can't even make through a full year with that person, I doubt you ever loved them enough to spend another 20 or 30, maybe even 50 more.

Love is more than a word. It's a promise to someone that you can put up with their faults, you can get through the fights, you can mop up the tears and sit through family dinners, you can stick it out through the bad times and still recognize and appreciate the good times spent together. And when you're forty, that you can share the same toothbrush and like the same sitcoms and still find joy in the little things that are worthwhile to share with a significant other.

Maybe you can find love with your highschool sweetheart (my parents did), but i personally don't see myself being so naive as to think the next boy i date, will be "the one" and I'm not going to throw the word's "i love you" out of my mouth with the carelessness of a child. The people who hear me say "I love you" to them, will only be the people who I'm sure deserve to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment