Sunday, January 23, 2011

A tribute to Arizona, the most beautiful place in the world.

Growing up in Brantford, Ontario is the epitome of suburban life. That being said, I have no complaints. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter, sunny and fresh in the spring, crisp and clean in the fall. Brantford might not be anything special but it's my home and when I stray too far from it, I do start to miss it. I know it like the back of my hand. All the good places to sit and watch the sunset, the forest trails and the little restaurants, where to ice skate in the winter and where to tan in the summer. That being said, my second home is in Wickenburg Arizona. There is no home like the desert.

When i was fifteen, my older sister was sent to an eating disorder rehabilitation center in Arizona because of her critical condition. It was called Remuda Ranch. She was there for a little less than three months being cared for and helped through her struggle with self-image and weight loss. She left  in November and returned at the end of January, a completely new person. Since then, I have visited Arizona four times and it remains my favourite place in the world. I spent the Christmas of 2007 there in the desert, with a cactus as my christmas tree. My family opened Christmas gifts outside on the front lawn in the sunshine.

Theres no way I can totally describe how vast and beautiful the desert is. It bursts with life and freedom. The mountains carve into the marble blue sky and the joshua trees cast brown shadows onto the sand. I've never seen a sky so large and crystal clear anywhere else in the world. I could have never chosen a better place for my sister to overcome her anorexia. Everything about the small, isolated town of Wickenburg where she stayed was freeing and beautiful. Arizona will always be the place where the healing of my sister began and to that beautiful country, I owe her life. Without it, I can't imagine what state she would be in, if she would be here at all.

My sister, Mom and I, Christmas Day

Photo Cred goes to my Dad. This is on a trail 5 minutes outside of Wickenburg

No comments:

Post a Comment